- About EFC
- Our Schools
- Our Approach
We offer six high-achieving schools in East Oakland: Achieve Academy, ASCEND, Cox Academy, Epic Middle School, Lazear Charter Academy, and Learning Without Limits. All are free, public schools that operate independently of Oakland Unified School District. All provide highly qualified teachers, rigorous academic programs, well-rounded after-school programs, excellent special education services, and comprehensive wrap-around programs to support the whole child and family.
NEW STUDENT ENROLLMENT PROCESS FOR 2017-2018 SCHOOL YEAR
EFCPS is participating in a new common application and enrollment system called ‘Enroll Oakland Charters’ with other charter schools in Oakland this year.
Oakland’s charter public schools have developed a single enrollment center to inform Oakland families about their public school options and to make the process of selecting and enrolling in a charter public school easy, efficient and equitable.
3 Ways to Enroll
- Online/Smartphone: Visit www.enrolloak.org to electronically submit your application.
- Paper: Paper applications may be submitted at any EFCPS, participating school, or at the EOC office, where you will go through a QA check prior to data-entry.
- Phone: Verbally submit your information. Call 510-454-9360
Note: Still accepting applications for the 2016-2017 school-year, if space is available (see below)!
Current Application Process for SY 2016-17
To apply to for an Education for Change school, complete and submit a one-page application (see below) directly to the school, not Oakland Unified School District.
Lottery Dates, Times, and Locations – for SY 2017-18
If there are more applicants than spots available at the time of the admissions deadline (February 17, 2017), a public random lottery will be held. Following is the lottery schedule:
Achieve – Mon., March 6, 2017 @ 4PM, 1700 28th Avenue, Oakland
ASCEND – Wed., March 8, 2017 @ 4PM, 3709 East 12th Street, Oakland
Cox– Tues., March 7, 2017 @ 9AM, 9860 Sunnyside Street, Oakland
Epic – Mon., March 6, 2017 @ 9AM, 1112 29th Avenue, Oakland
Lazear – Tues., March 7, 2017 @ 4PM, at 824 29th Avenue, Oakland
LWL – Wed., March 8, 2017 @ 9AM, 2035 40th Avenue, Oakland
At Achieve Academy and Cox Academy the following absolute preferences will be employed during a public random lottery:
- First, siblings of existing students (living at the same address) will be offered a space.
- Second, children of the respective school’s educators, administrators, and staff will be offered a space.
- Third, residents within the Oakland Unified School District will be offered a space.
At ASCEND, Lazear, and Learning Without Limits, siblings of existing students at the respective school (living at the same address) will be exempted from the lottery. The following weighted numerical preferences will be employed during a public random lottery:
- Applicants who reside in the former OUSD attendance boundary of the school will be given a 5:1 preference.
- Applicants who reside within Oakland Unified School District will be given a 10:1 preference.
- Applicants who attend a school in Program Improvement will be given a 4:1 preference.
- Applicants who live outside of Oakland will be given a 1:1 preference.
At Epic Middle School, siblings of existing student at the respective school will be exempted from the lottery. The following weighted numerical preferences will be employed during a public random lottery:
- Children of EFC employees will be given one a 2:1 preference.
- Students residing in an Oakland neighborhood where the local school is a PI school will be given one additional entry in the lottery.
- Students residing within the boundaries of Oakland Unified School District will be given one additional entry in the lottery.
All applications drawn after reaching capacity will be placed on a wait-list, in order in which they are drawn. Any applications submitted by the February 17, 2017 deadline and not accepted through the public random drawing due to capacity limitations will be placed on the wait-list in the order determined by lottery. Applications received after the February 17, 2017 deadline will be offered admission (spots on the wait-list) in the order received AFTER all applicants who submitted by the lottery deadline have been served.
In mid-March, notification letters and confirmation forms will be mailed to all who submitted an application letter by the February 17, 2017 deadline. Parents/guardians must submit their confirmation form by April 2, 2017 in order to secure the spot.
*Transitional Kindergarten now offered at Achieve Academy, Ascend, Cox Academy and Lazear Charter Academy for children who turn five between Sept. 2 and Dec. 2, 2016.